[Wien] k point parallel mode

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri Dec 30 13:02:52 CET 2011

A comment on Peter''s comment. OMP_NUM_THREADS might have an effect,
but the parameter is really MKL_NUM_THREADS if you are using Intel's
mkl library -- and even then the compiler makes it's own decisions
about how many it will use and this varies with version of the
compiler (and probably what one has to set).

Also...many of these things depend upon exactly what is in your
computer, e.g. memory speed, bus speed as well as what else is
running. Best is to do your own benchmarks, e.g. see
http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/benchmark/. For instance, while on older
computers Intel's hyperthreading was not good much to my surprise when
I tried it (by accident) on a recent dual hex-core machine it was
quite reasonable.

N.B., the same holds for mpi -- very hardware and software dependent
in my experience.