[Wien] Would like to have some guidance from you

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 7 09:02:27 CEST 2011

As a beginner, you need to gain experience.

So first start with pure A2BO4.  Does it run properly, check timings,...
Then create first a smaller supercell, eg. a 2x2x1 cell. Does it run ?
timings (4 times as many atoms, --> without iterative diag. ~ 64 times
as long cpu-time in lapw1. However, in the supercell you can use 4 times
less k-points, s the total effort does NOT increase that much.

For the large cell: use the   top  command to check the performance of
lapw1 or lapw2. In particular you should see of it uses the cpu by nearly
100 (or 200 when OMP_NUM_THREAD=2) %, or it does not becuase it does not
have enough memory and "pages".

Also check the timings listed in case.output1up/dn. Is the cpu-time and wall-time similar ?
If wall-time is much larger, your computer does not have enough memory.

k-points: You heard at the workshop about k-points: metal-insulator or small-large cells.
most likely I would not start out with so many k-points, but I don't know the details
of your system. Of course 50-kpoints will run 4 times faster than 200 k.

Another hint: For large cells you do not want to start out with RKMAX=7 (the default).
Start the calculation with RKMax=6 or even 5.5. Run to scf, it should be MUCH faster
(10-100 times !!!), but then don't stop, but increase RKMax and compare eg. the forces
on all atoms, magnetic moments, DOS, (... what ever you are interested in) to find a
reasonable RKMAX.

And finally: For these large cells, iterative diagonalization should be used.

I guess the most important message is: Start out with smaller problems. Experiment
with parameters like k-points, RKmax, -it to get experience.

Of course, a modern PC (or 4 of them for k-parallel runs) will help. But checkout the
real bottleneck (memory ?) before.