[Wien] Charge Convergence is not achieved

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 7 15:28:42 CEST 2011

The problem of "functional" could for instance happen for 4f-compounds.

In LDA/GGA all 4f bands will be around EF (which is physically wrong) and
convergence is naturally very different (14 extremely FLAT bands/atom !!).

Using "open core" or LDA+U or Hybrid-DFT you remove the failure of GGA and
immediately also convergence should improve (since you have only a FEW
WIDE s,d-bands at EF).