[Wien] error showing : libmkl_intel_lp64.so: cannot open shared object file

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Jul 11 16:47:26 CEST 2011

The error is exactly what it says it is.

Possible sources:
a) After your power failure you did not appropriately mount the intel
libraries across computers
b) They are not in your library path (source the appropriate XXX.sh
and/or XXX.csh in the location where they are installed, checking this
with, for instance, "which ifort").
c) You do not have your .bashrc or other initializing correct to
include the appropriate libraries.
d) You do not have the intel libraries in your default library path --
do "man ldd", "man ldconfig" and "ldd $WIENROOT/lapw0" then think
about the output and information.

None of these are Wien2k problems, they are problems with your OS.

In the future I would suggest that you use -i-static which will avoid
these issues.

N.B., 130 iterations is an awfully large number unless you are running
a minimization. If this is just a straight scf then something is very
wrong with your physical model.

2011/7/11 shamik chakrabarti <shamikphy at gmail.com>:

> Dear Wien2k users,
>                         I was running a calculation for a 56 atom unit cell.
> It has run for 130 iterations so far, but after that due to power failure
> the system got shut down. When we want to start the calculation from where
> it ends, we have chosen the " run anyway" option. But then it stopped
> showing the following error:
> /home/shamik81/WIEN2k/lapw0: error while loading shared libraries:
> libmkl_intel_lp64.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>>   stop error
> Although the shared libraries are at its proper place (in intel64/lib/mkl)
> it is showing the above error. As wien2k has been compiled properly and has
> already run for 130 iterations without any trouble what is the cause for
> such an error?
> We are using composerxe-2011.4.191 compiler and wien2k 11 for our
> calculation
> We are not able to figure out the reason of such an error and can not move
> any further. Any response in this regard will be highly appreciated.
> with regards,
> --
> Shamik Chakrabarti
> Research Scholar
> Dept. of Physics & Meteorology
> Material Processing & Solid State Ionics Lab
> IIT Kharagpur
> Kharagpur 721302
> INDIA

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
Chair, Commission on Electron Crystallography of IUCR
www.numis.northwestern.edu/
Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what
nobody else has thought
Albert Szent-Gyorgi