[Wien] Density matrix and QTL

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 13 20:57:08 CEST 2011

> I am trying to understand how QTL works in performing its spectral
> decomposition of the density matrix. I could not find QTL - Technical
> report on the web anywhere so I hope you can help me.
>
> If we have a d-orbital density matrix, then the matrix is a 5x5
> corresponding to matrix elements:
> n_mm' = SUM_E<Ef < KS_k | phi_m> < phi_m' | KS_k>.
>
> Here, KS_k is a Kohn-Sham orbital and phi_m is a predefined orbital.
> Here with angular momentum m. I presume the quantization axis for m is
> set by the local rotation matrix? The summation is over energies less
> than the Fermi energy.

Yes, the quantization axis is defined by the crystal lattice and the
local rotation matrices (with respect to the crystal axis).

However, we do NOT perform the next step indicated below. The density
matrix is NOT rotated into diagonal form, but the "real" symmetries
(like d-xy,...) are obtained by the well-known linear combinations from
the complex density matrix components.

Using the program QTL you can now also define your "own" coordinate
system and describe the partial charges with respect to this rotated
frame. Usually, this is done to get the qtl's in an "approximate"
symmetry frame (like a distorted octahedron,...) instead of the strict
"highest symmetry" frame, which is the default.

Peter Blaha