[Wien] Power outage while doing the caculation

Dr Qi Wen YAO Yao.Qiwen at nims.go.jp
Fri Jul 22 05:08:30 CEST 2011

Dear Wien2k users,

I apologies if this question has been asked and answered (but I could not find any thread in the archive): I am doing a supercell calculation, and after three weeks or so it has gone through 12 cycles, then something came up and I have to power off the pc.

I have three questions please:

1. in an event like this, the calculation has not yet converged and I just did a shutdown on the machine without save_lapw (probably a dump thing to do but I wasn't sure if I could do a save_lapw while the calculation was still keep going and not converges was reached) - can I restart the calculation from the point where it was reached (I hope, at around cycle 10 or 9)? If yes how do I do it - should i just start w2web and go into the same session and starting the scf cycle again? Do I need to r
emove any broyden file before the scf?

2. If a power outage was happened would it be the same as I would just shutdown the machine without doing any save_lapw?

3. Can I do a save_lapw in the middle of the calculation (while the converge is not yet reached)?

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind regards,
Wen

Dr QiWen YAO

JSPS Fellow
Multifunctional Materials Group
Optical and Electronic Materials Unit
Environment and Energy Materials Research Division

National Institute for Materials Science

1-2-1 Sengen, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0047, Japan
Phone: +81-29-851-3354, ext. no. 6482, Fax: +81-29-859-2501