[Wien] OMP_NUM_THREADS

Dr Qiwen YAO Yao.Qiwen at nims.go.jp
Wed Jul 27 14:13:59 CEST 2011

Dear Wien2k users,

We were told in the WIEN workshop that for  mkl+multi-core cases, it might be better having a setting of $OMP_NUM_THREADS =2.

I have two questions in my mind:

Q1.  Does this apply to a 2 core system with 4GB RAM that is not running parallel calculation (not K-point parallel nor mpi-parallel )?

Q2. Or this only apply to eg a quad core machine that runs on k-point parallel or mpi-parallel calculation?

I have a 4-Core Dell T7500 PC with 12GB RAM, each core is of two threads, so in Susie/Linux or even in Windows, it all displays as a 8 CPU machine (so it is in actuality a four-core CPU but each core is with 2 threads, so all the OS sees it as a 8-core CPU). The actual info for this CPU is here if you like to see the details of it: http://ark.intel.com/products/37111

I am setting up this machine running k-parallel calculation (not mpi-parallel as I have got only one of this machine for the moment), I am pondering:

Which of the following 2 scenarios is a better choice for a 90 atom supercell calculation?

Scenario  1.
.machines files is this:
-------
granularity:1
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
extrafine:1
----------
and the OMP_NUM_THREADS=1 as default in my .bashrc file.
so no multi-threading but all k-parallelism. (With this setting, I do notice after running the job for while - more than an hour say, the 8 CPUs shown in the System Monitor says only two CPUs were really utilized at a time (and it keep switching CPUs for the full-loading status, but mostly only two fully loaded at a time) and the rest of the 6 CPUs weren't really doing much - some of a few percentage of the load and others even on 0% - so I was wondering maybe this setting isn't optimized?

Scenario  2.
.machines files would be like this:
-------
granularity:1
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
extrafine:1
----------
and set the OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 in my .bashrc file - I have not tried this setting as I am not sure if this would be a workable setting?

Or, both settings would work and won't make much difference in calculation time length for a supercell calculation of 90 atoms? I am new to WIEN so I could not fully understand the THREAD'ings in WIEN's aspect.

On addition, for the above two .machines file setting, would it make any difference if I put the real hostname in the place of "localhost"?

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Qiwen

Dr QiWen YAO

JSPS Fellow
Multifunctional Materials Group
Optical and Electronic Materials Unit
Environment and Energy Materials Research Division

National Institute for Materials Science

1-2-1 Sengen, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0047, Japan
Phone: +81-29-851-3354, ext. no. 6482, Fax: +81-29-859-2501