[Wien] error "setrlimit(): Invalid argument"

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri Jul 29 17:24:49 CEST 2011

Please check your version of the two attached files against what you
have in SRC_lapw0,1,2 . (I think the attached is the latest version,
but please also check the Wien2k site, just one of SRC_lapw0.) If they
are different, copy what you have "somewhere" then replace them in
SRC_lapw0 (as a test), recompile and just run "x lapw0 -p".

This may be one of many things, but it is related to these files:
a) Your C compiler is strange (which did you use, icc or gcc?)
b) Your sysadmin has prevented you as a user from making the call

At worst, comment out the w2k_extend_limits() subroutine. Maybe your
sysadmin can help work out what is appropriate for your system --
unfortunately C is not as standard as fortran. (We can then patch
around this in the future.)

Quick explanation. If you look back in the mailing list, you will find
about once a week, an error/email associated with ulimit. This got
worse with openmpi since in this code there is no way to set the
stacksize. This subroutine does it for you, but is not working on your
system for some reason. There was a similar bug on a Mac which I
believe is cured with this version.