[Wien] Plane-wave cutoff in W2K

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 6 14:27:45 CEST 2011

The energy cutoff for the planewave representation in the interstitial is $E_{max}^{wf}=19$ Ry for the wave functions and $E_{max}^{pot}=196$ Ry for
the potential."

A specification like this comes from the Pseudopotential community. We use different values:

The cutoff for the potential (and charge density) is specified in   case.in2(c). By default we use GMAX=12, while in this paper
GMAX=14 (E=k^2; 14^2=196 Ry) was used.

The cutoff for the wave functions is specified in case.in1(c), but as RMT(min) * Kmax
So the knowledge of "19 Ry" cutoff alone is not sufficient. You also need to know what their smallest RMT was.
Then RKmax = RMT(min) * sqrt(19).   Eg. an RMT=1.6 (for Oxygens) gives our default RKMax=7