[Wien] pondering wien2kMPI performance

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 7 07:48:11 CEST 2011

Just adding three more comments to what Robert said:

memory in lapw0: depends mainly on GMAX (in2) and/or   IFFT-parameters and enhancement factor in case.in0
                  (memory critical for large FFT grids (enhancement factors), parallelization solves the problem)

           lapw1: SCALAPACK diagonalization needs significantly more memory then sequential LAPACK.
                  (instead of (NMAT*(NMAT+1)/2) you need NMAT**2 for H and S, plus additional large auxiliary arrays.
                   iterative diagonalization needs another large NMAT**2 array + vectors (NMAT*NUME)

           lapw2: in most cases the real memory critical step !!!! There are many cases where lapw1 still
                  does fine in terms of memory, but lapw2 does NOT !!! Solve it by using
                  lapw2_vector_split: 2  (or even 4) in  .machines file

Check the parallel case.output* files to get an idea about memory allocation.