[Wien] K-point parallel with MPI

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jun 9 12:50:24 CEST 2011

We don't know what: "even though I have my .machines file set up correctly" means ...

Check $WIENROOT/parallel_options. You should have zeros for

USE_REMOTE 1 or 0     is "active" for k-point parallelization only (not your case)
you will use ssh (or not) when using  serial k-parallelization.

MPI_REMOTE 1 or 0    is "active" for mpi-only or mixed mpi + k-point parallelization.
for MPI_REMOTE=1 you would ssh to the nodes and then span an mpi job there,
MPI_REMOTE=0   should start the mpijob on the "master-node" and use the corresponding machines file
                 to know where the jobs are actually running.

In lapw1para there is clearly a "background" symbol & in the corresponding lines:

	      if ($mpiremote == 1) then
                  set remotemachine = `head -1 .machine$p`
		 ($remote $remotemachine "cd $PWD;$t $ttt;rm -f .lock_$lockfile[$p]") >>.time1_$loop &
               else
	         (cd $PWD;$t $ttt;rm -f .lock_$lockfile[$p]) >>.time1_$loop &      <--------
               endif

so it should start all k-point lapw1mpi jobs  in parallel (with a delay of 1 second or so).

Maybe your mpi does not support running of 2 mpi-jobs at the same time and blocks the second?
Try it out with k-parallel only and USE_REMOTE=0