[Wien] orbital moment

Md. Fhokrul Islam fislam at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 15:42:48 CEST 2011

Hi Prof Blaha,

     Thank you for your suggestions on orbital moment of the empty states and
I am working on it now. But I have still problem with the interpretation of up and
down orbital moments in the case.scfdmup file. I followed your suggestion and
have calculated orbital moment with 'method 1' after 2nd scf cycle but I have got
exactly the same result. So I couldn't figure out the correspondence between
method 1 and method 2 as I mentioned in my previous email (below).

case.scfdmup:

 Spin-polarized + s-o calculation, M||  0.000  0.000  1.000
  Calculation of <X>, X=c*Xr(r)*Xls(l,s)
  Xr(r)    =           I
  Xls(l,s) = L(dzeta)
  c=  1.00000
  atom      L        up              dn           total
:XOP006  2    -0.00008     0.02528     0.02519     0.00000

I think there may be some confusion about my earlier question. My question was
what these up and down in case.scfdmup file means? Does it mean lapwdm is
calculating orbital moment operator parallel (up) and anti-parallel (down) to
magnetization direction?

Thanks again for your help.

Fhokrul