[Wien] Total Energy Calculations involving Chlorides

Ghosh SUDDHASATTWA ssghosh at igcar.gov.in
Wed May 18 08:11:53 CEST 2011

Dear Wien2k users,

I have posted this question last week. Unfortunately, I could not get any
suggestions. I ask this again.

Which functional LDA or GGA is good for total energy calculations for
compounds like NaCl, CsCl. I would like to estimate the enthalpies of some
mixed salts like (Na,Cs)Cl. If we see the enthalpy equation for NaCl, we
have

Enthalpy_NaCl= ENE (NaCl)-1/2*ENE (Na)-1/4*ENE(Cl2)

How do we estimate the third term on the right? Which functional?

I did the following calculation

I placed a chlorine atom in P4/mmm cell at (0,0,0.0606) with a sufficiently
large lattice parameters and did the SCF with a single gamma point.

I got ENE=-1845.995 Ry

I then placed a Cl atom in a Fm3m cell at (0,0,0) and did the calculation
for a single gamma point. I got ENE=-922.872

The dissociation energy comes to be -330 kJ/mol which actually is -242.602
kJ/mol.

So , how do we estimate E(Cl2) for getting accurate enthalpies of NaCl.

Any suggestions please

Thanks

Suddhasattwa