[Wien] problems in wien2k 10 run

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri May 20 01:45:36 CEST 2011

I am going to post my solution to similar issues, as maybe it will help others.

In parallel_options on a big cluster that uses GPFS I have:

setenv USE_REMOTE 1
setenv MPI_REMOTE 0
setenv WIEN_GRANULARITY 1
setenv WIEN_MPIRUN "mpirun -x LD_LIBRARY_PATH -x PATH -np _NP_
-machinefile _HOSTS_ _EXEC_"
set a=`grep -e "1:" .machines | grep -v lapw0 | head -1 | cut -f 3 -d:
| cut -c 1-2`
setenv MKL_NUM_THREADS $a
setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS $a
setenv MKL_DYNAMIC FALSE
if (-e local_options ) source local_options
set remote = "/bin/csh $WIENROOT/pbsh"
set delay   = 0.25

and $WIENROOT/pbsh is just the line

mpirun -x LD_LIBRARY_PATH -x PATH -np 1 --host $1 /bin/csh -c " $2 "

This combination does several things:
a) It sets up the MKL threading environment correctly for the first
node, since with qsub/msub etc you don't know exactly what you will
have. (I don't know how to do this for others, maybe someone else
does.)
b) It runs everything using mpirun (rather than ssh) which works
better with torque/openmpi and avoids orphans that can happen with ssh
when jobs go wrong.

Caveat: Please don't start tweaking these things unless you really
know what you are doing!

N.B., Wien2k is one of the best OS/Hardware fault finder that I know.
I have found problems on several different clusters which left
sysadmins slightly red-faced....

--
Laurence Marks