[Wien] A question regarding GGA+U method

tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Oct 14 09:18:17 CEST 2011

There are several versions (at least six) of the LDA/GGA+U method
and one of them is SIC, which is also called fully localized limit (FLL)
or atomic limit in the literature.

The SIC method used in Szotek et al. [PRB 74, 174431 (2006)] is not a
LDA/GGA+U method. This is the method of Perdew and Zunger
[PRB 23, 5048 (1981)], where all electrons (and not only d-electrons) have
their self-interaction error corrected.

This paper gives a very good summary of the different versions of
LDA/GGA+U:
http://prb.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v79/i3/e035103