[Wien] SOC basic question

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Oct 18 10:53:04 CEST 2011

Dear Lukasz,

I am by no means an expert so expect one of those to correct me, but maybe
I can help a little by pointing out information you find in the UG section
7.4:

The energy parameter positions a local orbital p1/2 radial wavefunction.
The LO is used to extend the set of basis functions that describes the band
structure by something which is very hard to capture with the other
wavefunctions in the set. Especially one must consider wave functions up to
large energies without this LO. Therefore, its availability greatly reduces
the unphysical influence of EMAX and RMT on the results. The actual
position of this LO in energy (the 0.30 Ry) appears not to be that
critical, its useful through its shape. I would expect if you position it
at very wrong energy the SCF will basically use a lot of computing time to
avoid populating it and do the best it can do with the rest of the basis
set.

I would recommend the article cited in the UG (Kunes et al., PRB 64,
(2001), 153102)

Best regards,

Martin