[Wien] calculation of X-ray spectra for a magnetic system with spin-orbit coupling?

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 19 00:50:43 CEST 2011

Dear Peter and Wien2k users,

I have two questions regarding the calculation of X-ray spectra.

Q1:

For a spin non-polarized state in a system with spin-orbit coupling, I did the following after setting up a supercell structure file

1/ Remove one electron from case.inc

2/ Add one more electron into case.in2c (because of spin-orbit coupling)

3/ Run self-consistency  by taking, for example,

run_lapw -so -cc 0.0001 -i 40

4/ Then I have to generate the case.qtl file
by running

x lapw1
x lapwso

(Edit case.in2c to remove the extra one electron at this stage of
before running x lapw2.)

x lapw2 -so -qtl

(Edit case.inxs)

x xspec

Is this a correct list of steps?

Q2:
I am planning to calculate the X-ray spectra for a magnetic system with spin-orbit coupling (like UO2).
What is the correct steps I should take within LDA+U?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jian-Xin Zhu

P.S.: I am using wien2k.10.1.