[Wien] The symmetry is not recognized by Wien

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 20 09:24:33 CEST 2011

Most likely you did not enter the structure correctly into WIEN2k.
Please read the UG to see the special WIEN2k requirements for a "R" structure.

For rhombohedral space groups, there is a R or an H (hexagonal) setting for the
spacegroups. Wien2k uses a unusual mixture:
In WIEN2k you have to specify the unit cell with hexagonal coordinates ! (a,c),
but the atomic positions in rhombohedral coordinates.
The UG describes this in detail and there are tools (hex2rhomb) to convert
hex to rhomb coordinates.
(I know the way we do this is "stupid", but still it should not be a problem).