[Wien] error message

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:10:39 CEST 2011

The term "malloc(): memory corruption" means that the computer has
been asked to do something inappropriate. You are going to have to
find out the exact reason yourself; this is not an error for which
there is a general answer. Most likely this is due to bad input,
although there is a small change it is something else. Some general
suggestions:

a) Check the case.output0 (read it) -- substitute "case" for your
directory name. Does it contain NaN or strange values when you compare
it to what you have for simpler problems? If it does you may have a
corrupted case.clmsum (and case.clmup/dn) and would need to rerun
dstart or retrieve a good one from a previous run.

b) Read the case.output1_?? files (yes, I said to read them) and
compare what you have to a previous run which worked. Maybe lapw1
crashed part way through due to an error in case.in1 format or too
large an RKMAX (although the later should not occur). You can do "x
lstart" and compare case.in1 to case.in1_st .

c) Are you using the same code that was used for a previous, smaller
run and worked? If you have just recompiled run a simple problem (e.g.
TiC) to verify that your compilation worked.

d) Is there something wrong with the computer you were running the
calculation on, e.g. it has many zombie processes running on it or
does not have much memory? Use top or similar. (This is unlikely to be
the source, but...)

--
Laurence Marks
Northwestern University