[Wien] Need advice for modeling the band gap in a charge transfer insulator

David Tompsett dat36 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 25 12:14:16 CEST 2011

Hi Shamik,

DFT+U can sometimes give a reasonable description of materials with some
charge transfer (possibly also some Mott) insulating character eg. NiO. But
it seems that in your case itinerant states are important to the band gap
and in that case using Hybrid functionals that include exchange between all
states (including itinerant ones) often helps eg. MnO. I think a full hybrid
functional set will come out in an upcoming version of Wien2k?

Some references:
Tran et al.
PHYSICAL REVIEW B 83, 235118 (2011)

Best,