[Wien] phonon calculation

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Sep 1 21:41:39 CEST 2011

Yes, much to large.

Read the FAQ on minimization, you are doing something wrong.

2011/9/1 Yundi Quan <quanyundi at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for you reply. My minimization stops with a message saying that the
> force is minimized and the force and energy are inconsistent. So I carried
> out another calculation by using the structure file that I got. However, the
> force on one of the atoms is as large as 26. Is it too large to be used as a
> equilibrium state?
> Thanks a lot.
> Yundi
>
> 2011/8/31 Евгения Каблиман <evgeniya at theochem.tuwien.ac.at>
>>
>> I mean minimization of internal parameters (lattice coordinates) in your
>> initial structure. This is a crucial point. You should not have forces on
>> atoms, since it is a kind of reference state. The structure optimization
>> (lattice parameters) itself is less crucial as long as you have the
>> reasonable lattice parameters.
>>
>> Once you have a well relaxed structure, you can construct atomic
>> displacements and calculate 'total forces' using force convergence criteria
>> (-fc) at fixed lattice constants.
>>
>> Total forces, which you need for phonon calculations, are the derivatives
>> of total energies with respect to atomic displacements. Therefore, in order
>> to get more precise values of total forces one usually constructs big
>> supercells. This means that a size of your supercell is also important.
>

>> 2011/8/31 Yundi Quan <quanyundi at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> By relaxing structure, do you mean internal structure or the crystal
>>> structure or both?
>>>
>>> Yundi

>> --
>> Evgeniya Kabliman.
>> Insitute of Materials Chemistry         Vienna University of Technology
>> Getreidemarkt 9/165-TC, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
>> Tel: +43 1 58801 15674        Fax: +43 1 58801 15698
>> evgeniya at theochem.tuwien.ac.at          http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
Web: www.numis.northwestern.edu
Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what
nobody else has thought
Albert Szent-Gyorgi