[Wien] FS of a slab

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 6 13:42:51 CEST 2011

>     In the case of the super cell modeling the surface (few atom layers plus vacuum space) the size of the reciprocal lattice in the normal direction is small and the shape of the
>     3D FS becomes a low-profile.
>
>     I need to get a distribution of E(*k*) in the k-vector-plane that is perpendicular to the surface plane in the real space.
>
>     Is Wien2k fit to that task?

YES, and NO !

NO, there is no automatic tool/method to do this.

YES: all the information is there in principle. You have to understand
"backfolding" and the concept of "Bloch functions".

Backfolding: By doubling the unit cell in one dimension, you get at the
Gamma point not only the Gamma eigenvalues of the original cell, but also
the results from the X-point.....

Now generalize this concept and if you treat the slab with 10 layers,
you get 10-fold backfolding, i.e. it corresponds to a k-mesh with
ten k-points between Gamma-X in the original cell.

To identify which eigenvalue corresponds to which original k-perpendicular
you use the "Bloch-function concept.
i.e. on a Gamma point, psi_k(x+n.a) = psi_k(x)exp(ikn.a)
This means on a "original Gamma point, the charge in all layers (neglecting surface
effects) should be identical, for other k-points it should oszillate in a certain pattern.
You can plot the partial charges (QTLs) as function of layer and check how it looks
for the different states.

In addition you can get surface states, which do not have a k_perp, but they
should exponentially decay from the surface into the bulk.