[Wien] issue with doing structure minimization on MacPro workstation

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 7 22:56:20 CEST 2011

Dear Peter and Wien2k users,

It might be of interest to you.

On Mac Pro Workstation, when we tried the command

 run_lapw -fc 1 -p

(in relation to the minimization of internal parameters),

it came out the following error

LAPW0 END
(standard_in) 1: illegal character: T
(standard_in) 1: illegal character: O
(standard_in) 1: illegal character: R
(standard_in) 1: illegal character: P
(standard_in) 1: illegal character: W
(standard_in) 2: parse error
(standard_in) 1: parse error
(standard_in) 1: parse error
(standard_in) 1: parse error
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END
 LAPW1 END

We noticed there is a file case.inM involved in the "-fc" section of run_lapw script file

while ($iatom <= $natom)                #cycle over all atoms
  set itest=$iatom
  @ itest ++
  testinput     $file.inM cont_force_test
    set atest=`head -$itest $file.inM |tail -1`
    set itest=`echo " $atest[1] + $atest[2] + $atest[3]"|bc`
    if ( $itest == '0' ) goto skipforce
  cont_force_test:
  if ($iatom <= 9) then
      set test = (`$bin/testconv -p :FOR00$iatom -c $fcut -f test_forces`)
  else if ($iatom <= 99) then
      set test = (`$bin/testconv -p :FOR0$iatom -c $fcut -f test_forces`)
  else
      set test = (`$bin/testconv -p :FOR$iatom -c $fcut -f test_forces`)
  endif
  if  !($test[1]) set ftest[1] = 0
  set ftest[2] = $test[2]
  set ftest    = ($ftest $test[3] $test[4])
skipforce:
  @ iatom ++
end

In the same working directory, there is another file case.inm existing for a different purpose.

Therefore, we suspect that these errors might be related to the fact that Mac OS X has no differentiation between
the lower and upper case in file naming.
Please let me know if you can a different understanding.

Regards,

--
Jian-Xin Zhu, Ph.D
Email (main): jxzhu at lanl.gov