[Wien] A question about the implementation of XSPEC

Kevin Jorissen kevinjorissenpdx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 22:48:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

I haven't looked at the paper you refer to, but from memory (I
developed much of TELNES, which in turn was based on XSPEC) -

1.  There's a change of basis in which the LAPW coefficients A/B/C are
transformed to a single set of coefficients "D" for the APW basis.
The transformation is somewhat approximate - there is some "averaging"
over the radial coordinate r within the muffin tin sphere.  However,
this should not be a reason for concern.  I can send more details if
you are still worried (and they are also in some of the early TELNES
papers ~ 1998-2000).

2.  You'd be amazed at how some arrays are defined in the guts of the
code, especially some of the older routines.  Look but don't touch is
my advice.  Whenever I've thought that I found a mistake in the power
of "r", it has turned out I was wrong because another "r" was included
in another array and they were multiplied together later to calculate
an integral in one of the rint routines ...  My guess is that what you
think is a core wave function, is actually r times or r^2 the core
wave function ... at least that's how it is in TELNES, which was built
on top of XSPEC.

cheers,

Kevin Jorissen
University of Washington