[Wien] DOS plot for spin-up and spin-down are different even with the application of spin-orbit coupling. Shouldn't it couple each other. Pls help

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 11 08:20:28 CEST 2012

SO couples spin-up and dn, thus you get only "one" band structure.

Still, you could use the "fat-bands" and indicate the spin-up and dn character of each band.
In most cases you will still see a clear domination of either spin-up or dn in a single ("mixed")
eigenvalue.
The same we do for the DOS: we simply project out the spin-up/dn character of each single eigenvalue
and plot the corresponding "partial" DOS. It is like an s and p DOS. A single eigenvalue may have both,
s and p character, but we project out its s (or p) character.

No, you cannot "play" with the spin-orbit coupling parameter. This is NOT an external parameter, but
clearly defined by quantum mechanics (proportional to dV/dr).