[Wien] View Crystal Structure Remote Machine

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Thu Apr 19 20:13:21 CEST 2012

Yes, it is possible to display the crystal structure in xcrysden on the
client.  Though in my opinion, VNC is simpler, since you don't have to
manage the extra problems that might be associated with both an ssh
connection and an Xserver.

My understanding is that when you click "view structure" in w2web, the
perl script (located at $WIENROOT/SRC_w2web/htdocs/util/viewxcrys.pl) is
executed on the remote server at the ip address in the internet browser
of w2web.  This script should open the session's case.struct file in
xcrysden on the remote server.  The xcrysden display is then supposed to
go (tunnel) through the enabled X11 forwarding channel (you must make
sure that you enable this) of your open ssh connection (such as with
free putty or commercial xshell) to your remote server, then an Xserver
(such as free xming or commercial xmanager) on your client system should
display it to you.

Putty settings:
http://www.wfu.edu/~natalie/s11phy752/lecturenote/PHY752lectLAPW.pdf
http://www.wfu.edu/~natalie/s11phy752/lecturenote/ClusterInfo.html

Note: For some systems, it may be necessary to take on the security
risks of checking the "no access control" box in XLaunch of xming to get
the display.

Xmanager:
http://www.netsarang.com/tutorial/xshell/1018/Using_X11_forwarding
Search the mailing list