[Wien] Two same type of atoms in a material have different moments when SOC is applied. Reasonable or not? Help

Madhav Ghimire ghimire.mpg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 05:33:31 CEST 2012

Dear Wien users,
     I am performing first principle calculation for X2TO3 (where T is 5d
atom) by using wien2k to obtain its band structure, DOS etc. with and
without SOC. I observe the variation of magnetic moments in two T atoms on
the same material especially when SOC is introduced.
This material contains 8 atoms with 3 X atoms, 2 T atoms and 3 O atoms. I
observe that without the inclusion of spin-orbit coupling (SOC) magnetic
moments in T do not differs much but as soon as the SOC is implemented,
there is difference in the moment value of the same atom in same material.
My understanding is that the effective moment can vary with increase or
decrease in moments but the difference in moments between the same type of
atom is unusual and unexpected. I do not understand whether this data are
relevant or not.  Cross checking result with other software shows that the
two T atoms have same moments unlike in wien2k. Below is few moments for T
atoms that I observed for your kind explanation.

(i) U=3ev +SO
:MMI004: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   4    =    0.63695
:MMI005: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   5    =    0.30164

(ii) U=2.0 eV+SO
:MMI004: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   4    =    0.58826
:MMI005: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   5    =    0.29685

(iv) GGA+SO
:MMI004: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   4    =    0.35195
:MMI005: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   5    =    0.34373

I will be very thankful to you to sort out this problem.
Best wishes

--
M. P. Ghimire