[Wien] Electric Field Effects

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Wed Aug 8 07:29:29 CEST 2012

Thank you for your quick help with my electric field question.  I have a couple of other related questions that I am still puzzled about.

The first question is the applicability of the Berry phase approach.  From what I understand, the Berry phase approach is usually couched within the density functional perturbation theory paradigm, e.g. in the limit of small E fields.  In fact, in the paper you co-authored with Stahn [PRB v63, 165205 (2001)] you actually mentioned the Berry Phase.

   "For a quantum-mechanical description of 'polarization in a crystal' a geometrical Berry's phase approach as been introduced in recent years.  Unfortunately, this approach is only valid if there is no external electric field in the crystal, which means that the surfaces of the crystal are short circuited."

As the fields we are interested in are fairly large (a factor of ten below the dielectric breakdown voltage), I was not confident about the applicability of a perturbative Berry's phase approach.   It was for this reason, I thought that your supercell approach (with the introduction of a vacuum slab at the kink and the fixing of the end atoms to prevent surface relaxation) would be a good approach that could be used even for moderately strong fields (0.01-0.1 V/Angstrom = 0.2-2 mRy).  I also noted that in the same paper above, it was stated that calculations at artificially larger fields were necessary to ensure enough numerical precision.  In the paper values of 200 times the experimental field values were used (e.g. 1400 kV/mm = 14 V/Angstrom = 2 mRy) to ensure that there was enough numerical precision in the answer as "for numerical reasons, the accuracy of the calculated potential Vint is of the order of the maximum potential applied".  Is this still the case for the latest revision of the Wien code (Wien12)?

Let me close, by thanking you again for your time.  I hope my questions are not too naive and can help others as well.  I hope to see you in Tokyo next month.

Best Wishes,
			Paul Fons