[Wien] Okay to combine mBJ, spinorbit, and LDA+U?

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Aug 16 22:15:48 CEST 2012

If it is a decent insulator I would do LDA+U directly; often it
converges better and since the lattice parameter and forces change you
do not gain much by first doing LDA/GGA. Normally LDA+U is stable,
often more stable that LDA/GGA. Volume optimization should be done
first, then min_lapw or MSR1a. Better is to do MSR1a or min_lapw at
each volume.

Then add -so, mBJ as appropriate with the optimized positions.
However, I not sure if mBJ+U is appropriate (I doubt that it is). It
might be that LDA+U positions are a better approximation for mBJ, not
sure. One way is to minimize the forces with mBJ using MSR1a (not
min_lapw/PORT) and compare them to LDA+U. If they are the same then
you are in good shape, needs testing. Maybe someone has....

N.B., it is completely fine to minimize positions in mBJ using MRS1a
-- do not use min_lapw/PORT, it will not be correct. MSR1a does not
care that the energy is incorrect whereas min_lapw/PORT does.