[Wien] Okay to combine mBJ, spinorbit, and LDA+U?

tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 17 11:16:00 CEST 2012

Lattice relaxation and atomic positions relaxation are two different
things. In WIEN2k there is no automatic lattice relaxation
(the stress tensor would need to be implemented), i.e., the
lattice constants a, b and c can only be optimized manually (with
x optimize).

The automatic (using forces) relaxation of atomic positions
is possible only for functionals for which the forces are calculated
correctly (GGA, GGA+U, onsite hybrids). This is not the case with
spin-orbit coupling or the full hybrid functionals recently implemented.

For mBJ, the problem is a little bit different. The forces are calculated
correctly, but (in my opinion) are nonsense and should not be used
for the atomic position relaxation. The problem is that mBJ is a potential
for which there is no associated energy functional, and therefore the
forces will be zero for a geometry which does not correspond to a
minimum on a total-energy surface which does not even exist.

My recommendation is to never use mBJ for structure optimization
(lattice constant and atomic positions).

F. Tran