[Wien] Okay to combine mBJ, spinorbit, and LDA+U?

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Sat Aug 18 18:51:30 CEST 2012

I think this discussion is good, but I want to introduce some caveats. Dft
is a ground state model, so it does not have to get excited state
properties right. For instance, there is no density in the conduction band
for ZnO so the exchange correllation terms for the conduction band are not
considered.

If adding U is better for a ground state property then it is fine; adding
it just to get a better apparent gap concerns me. While it is certainly
true that, for instance, exact exchange is better for gaps, it is also
better for some ground state properties so is reasonable. The BJ model has
other justification as an effective potential as Peter mentioned earlier,
so is not simply an empirical fudge.

Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University
www.numis.northwestern.edu 1-847-491-3996