[Wien] lapw2 aborted during SCF using 3rd structure in force minimization

Shamik Chakrabarti shamikiitkgp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:10:49 CEST 2012

Dear Prof. Laurence Marks,

       I have constrained some fixed positions for keeping them intact due
to the following reason:

(i) I am doing a calculation which is a primitive supercell generated from
the original unit cell having a particular space group.
(ii) Similar type of calculation on a different material (by generating
primitive space group) showed earlier that if the original structure has a
coordinate say (0.5, 0, 0) after force minimization with the primitive
space group the optimized coordinates eventually turned  out to be (0.4995,
0.9998, 0.9997) and hence we have again came back to our original position
(0.5, 0, 0). Hence, optimizing these fixed coordinates seems to be an
wastage of computational time while only varying the variable coordinates
(of the primitive space group) may give the equilibrium structure in a
relatively small time.

As you have mentioned, that I have not give enough information for finding
out the reason behind the crash, Sir, can you please suggest me which
information should I give?....as already I have given the following
information:

(i) There is no error file
(ii) case.scf2up is empty (as lapw2 -c -up crashed)
(iii) I am not able to figure out any error messages from case.output2

Also, the initial positions for the structure has been entered carefully.
The coordinates are determined from Rietveld analysis of experimental XRD
which is also confronted with earlier findings.

Looking forward to your response.

with best regards,