[Wien] lapw2 aborted during SCF using 3rd structure in force minimization

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 24 09:29:12 CEST 2012

>       I was running force minimization of a 56 atomic cell ( an oxide material) by constraining the coordinates of elements other than oxygen as that is the only variable
> parameter (other coordinates are fixed obeying space group symmetry) in wien2k 11.1
>
> I was using NEW1 minimization method following user guide -- "In case of constraint calculations one should use NEW1"

You did not read the UG correctly:
a) When positions are fixed by symmetry, this is NOT a constrain at all for the minimizers.
b) The UG says: when using "linear constrains", use NEW1. "Linear constrains are specified in case.constrain
    and restrict something like x+y=0.5   or similar.

About your error: you have not found anything, so how should we find anything ?