[Wien] RKMAX

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Tue Feb 14 07:50:25 CET 2012

> Hi, What is the criteria for choosing RKMAX? I changed RKMAX then the
> total energy and Fermi energy also changed.  As I increase RKMAX, the
> total energy becomes smaller and Fermi energy become larger.
> RKMAX    Total energy            Fermi energy
> *7              -41000.012971        0.53253
> 8              -41000.07176987     0.54963
> 9              -41000.08216064     0.5621

The total energy will keep decreasing with increasing basis set size
(cfr. variational principle). And so will the Fermi energy, due to the
way the energy reference is defined in wien2k (see Sec. 6.2 of
http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/textbooks/DFT_and_LAPW-2_cottenier.pdf).

For studying convergence, you should not monitor the energy at a given
volume, but rather the energy difference between two volumes (or other
observable properties).

Stefaan