[Wien] electron density map vs electron difference

Zhou Bing umbingz at isl.ac.cn
Sun Feb 26 14:33:15 CET 2012

Xavier,

Your message is very useful, many thanks!

Best wishes,

Bing

Re: [Wien] electron density map vs electron difference

If you simply want to plot the valence electronic density, you simply have to:

1/ change Emin in the case.in2 file --> x lapw2
2/ select your plane with Xcrysden ...
3/ edit the file case.in5 (it should be RHO) --> x lapw5

In the other side, when you want to plot electron density differences (TOTAL - ATOMIC densities), you must:
1/ first calculate the atomic densities - For such purpose you have to edit the file case.inst - put P instead of N, in such a way you will generate the atomic densities in the file case.sigma --> x lstart
2/ x lapw2 - edit case.in5 (change RHO by DIFF) ---> x lapw5 (it will give you the difference between the crystalline density and the superposition of the atomic densities - such figure gives you the electronic density generated by the bonding between the atoms ...).

Regards

Xavier