[Wien] I still have problem with wienk in parallel mode

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Mon Jan 2 20:07:19 CET 2012

just a remark
Xeon X3430 do not come with hyperthreading and allows a max of 4 threads equal to the number of cores

A fast check whether it uses all 4 cores is to check with top (type 1) with OMP_NUM_THREADS=4 running the lapw1 benchmark.
(top will show you all active processors and how they are used)
Note if you run Wien2k with W2Web it takes the number of threads from the time W2Web was started but not the
one you give in the bash.rc. That means if you change the number of threads in bash.rc killl w2web and restart it.
Check that there is not another setting of  OMP_NUM_THREADS or  MKL_NUM_THREADS to dynamic that overrides youre settings,
in that case it may use something different, as Mark mentioned in a reply some time back.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University