[Wien] minimizing atomic positions and lattice constants simultaneously

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Jul 16 14:17:43 CEST 2012

I think you have used a slightly long approach, and unless there is a
typo error you have not done it quite right. Let's step back for a
moment and think about the problem.

For an orthorhombic cell (or did you mean tetragonal) a,b & c are all
different. What you want to find is the minimum in the energy as a
function of these three, E(a,b,c). Note, if tetragonal then it is just
E(a,c) or E(a/c,V).

Normally the largest change is with volume, so provided that the
ratio's a/c and a/b are not very wrong you would optimize this first,
then optimize the ratio's next. The volume would be option 1 in "x
optimize". You could then do option 3 or 4 for each volume (vary c/a
or b/a) although it is probably best to find the optimum volume first
then use these. There are some tools for this in the web interface,
although I almost always end up doing a simple fit with Excel.

An alternative is to go directly to option 6 in "x optimize".

If you have a tetragonal cell, you can take all the data you have and
do a 2D fit to find the minimum energy. Again, there are some tools or
you can use Excel. If it is orthorhombic then your step (3) was not
write and you have not varied a/b yet and need to.

Think about it a bit, it will become clearer.