[Wien] Is there any relationship between DOS(E_F) and conductivity?

Vladimir Timochevski vladimir at physics.mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 28 17:04:37 CEST 2012

Hello S. Pourmasoud,

To calculate conductivity (in a "bandstructure" approach), you also need
to know how many electronic states have non-zero momentum in your
transport direction (in simple words ...). In other words, you need to
calculate the Fermi surface projection on the plane, normal to your
transport direction. Therefore, as Gerhard noticed, conductance also
depends on details of electronic structure - Fermi surface topology. You
can check this ref on how to use this approach to calculate transport
properties:
Phys. Rev. B 57, 8907 (1998).

Vladimir.

Dr. Vladimir Timoshevskii (Timochevski)
Department of Physics, McGill University,
3600 rue University, Montreal, QC
Canada H3A 2T8
Tel: +1 (514) 396-8935
Fax: +1 (514) 398-8434