[Wien] fortran

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Jun 29 19:16:05 CEST 2012

Best to use: composerxe-2011.3.174

Search the mailing list and reference:

http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2012-January/016045.html

Of note only, update 11 of composer xe was recently released. However,
Wien2k users could have issues with it as the bug fixes seem minor since
update 9 and 10 (having errors on some systems). Though, update 11 seems
to work fine on my Debian squeeze system with AMD processor.

/lib/libc.so.6

returns version 2.11.3 for glibc

I don't see many reports in the Linux community, but it seems to me that
recent glibc (such as unpatched versions 2.12 and 2.14) might be buggy.

The RedHat 6 documentation states the following, which could explain why
the errors seem to be occurring with Intel iprocessors with AVX:

/BZ#752122
Previously, glibc's dynamic loader incorrectly detected Advanced Vector
Extensions (AVX) capabilities and could terminate unexpectedtly with a
segmentation fault. This update fixes the AVX detection and the problem
no longer occurs. /

https://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/6.3_Technical_Notes/glibc.html#RHBA-2012-0763

It looks like patched versions were recently released (on 06-20-2012) to
address these issues.

CentOS 6:
http://www.latestonlinux.com/2012/05/centos-announce-ceba-20120566-centos-6-glibc-update/
RedHat 6: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2012-0763.html

Currently, there is 96 new bug reports for glibc and a new 2.16-tps
version seems to be available for certain versions of Ubuntu according to:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc

However, Wien2k user reports confirming resolution of the memory errors
after updating/patching the glibc library would be needed. The other
problem is that it is dangerous to update glibc as it can break the
operating system:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20361

I suppose that reinstalling a newer version of the operating system if
its available might be the easier and safer way to go, unless some here
can share their experience on how to safely update glibc.