[Wien] chemical bonding

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Mar 6 05:58:08 CET 2012

Charge can be estimated using (as a conventional measure) the Bader
volume around an atom, for instance by using the aim command in
Wien2k.

However, this is not the same as "Fe2+" which has a strict meaning
that the iron atom is in a 2+ valence state. This is not the same (but
alas often confused with) the effective charge, which I prefer to
write as +X, as against valence as X+. You can blame Linus Pauling for
this as he used the word "charge" in his original papers, when
referring to what is really valence.

As an example, strontium titanate has a valence of Sr2+ Ti4+ (O2-)3.
However, the "charges" from a Bader analysis are closer to Sr+1.6
Ti+2.2 (O-1.2)3 . (The numbers are right, there is a slight rounding
error in the charges).

In the limit of completely ionic bonding the two numbers are the same.
However, in general they are not and a source of endless confusion.
Depending upon exactly what functional you use the charges change, for
instance PBE tends to be too covalent and hybrids and/or LDA+U
improves on this (for d-electrons in Wien2k) making oxides more ionic.

For an oxide, you can readily get the valence from a bond-valence
analysis. I am not sure about other cases.

And, just to make life more interesting, many spectroscopies (e.g.
XPS, EELS) have been calibrated versus valence.