[Wien] SegFault in lapw2 when using the -fc switch

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed May 16 11:08:47 CEST 2012

Hi,

Sorry, but here it is hard to help. I tried your case quickly and it runs without problems.
It has only one force on the second atom in z-direction and even this force is very small
(2-3 mRy/bohr, so min stopped after 2 steps.

One thing I noticed is that your positions are not well described:

ATOM  -2: X=0.33333334 Y=0.66666670 Z=0.25000000
           MULT= 2          ISPLIT= 4
       -2: X=0.66666666 Y=0.33333330 Z=0.75000000

should be changed to

ATOM  -2: X=0.33333333 Y=0.66666667 Z=0.25000000
           MULT= 2          ISPLIT= 4
       -2: X=0.66666667 Y=0.33333333 Z=0.75000000

I recommend that you restart in a fresh directory with corrected positions.
After   init_lapw -b
use:    run_lapw -fc 1

This should run a normal scf cycle, but at the last iteration it will change case.in2
and replace TOT by FOR, triggering additional force computation in lapw2 (which seem to
crash in your case).

If it crashes again, maybe you can send some more info about the crash.
(do   x lapw2     by "hand")

A possibility for debugging is:
cd $WIENROOT/SRC_lapw2
edit Makefile and put -C -traceback  in  FOPT
make
cp lapw2 ..

then run    x lapw2     again and see if there are any useful informations.

---------
Another trial:   make the RMT of both atoms smaller by 0.2 bohr (2.3 and 2.05) and try again from the beginning.

and: does the same problem happen with any force calculation ? Can you try the TiO2 (rutile) example from
the UG ?

PS: the only "file corruption" can occur in case.in1, where EF is eventually set to a nonsense value
Reset it to the values from the start.

PPS: I also heard the first time the comment from Stefan Cottenier, that he had sometimes similar
problems.