[Wien] non-corrolated orbitals and GGA+U approximation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed May 16 11:50:08 CEST 2012

With LDA+U you can do almost anything by choosing some parameters (try negative U,....)
and thus, if you know the experiment, you can play around and vary U of some atoms and states
until you get the desired result (you could probably also use a larger U on Zn and a smaller
one on O and get the same gap).

The question is always: is it physical reasonable and justified, or is it just a dirty fix
to reproduce some experimental value.

The answer to this question is not that simple. For sure, in GGA also the O-p states are not treated
100% correctly, but they should be "better" than the Zn-d states. Thus, personally I don't like
a calculation with U(O-p)=1.1 Ry.

In addition, remember that even the "exact DFT functional" (if we ever get to know it), would NOT
give you the correct gap.