[Wien] coordinate system for klist

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Nov 9 08:21:46 CET 2012

I'm not an expert on crystal coordinate systems.

case.klist and case.klist_band need to use the same coordinate system,
right?  Both seem to be read by inilpw.f when unit 4 is used in case.in1.

In the Wien2k 12.1 user guide for case.klist:

We use carthesian coordinates in units of 2pi/a, 2pi/b, 2pi/c for
P,C,F and B cubic, tetragonal and orthorhombic lattices, but internal
coordinates for H and monoclinic/triclinic lattices

carthesian - the "h" in the UG seems to be a typo

In SRC_kgen/birken.text:

USE of klist in inilpw.f of SRC_lapw1
-------------------------------------
       << k-points in scaled cartesian coord. [2pi/a,2pi/b,2pi/c] >>

       << k-points in fractional coordinates [b1,b2,b3] >>

As Ron mentioned, there is the if statement (SRC_lapw1/prtkpt.F) that
converts the 'CONVENTIONAL reciprocal vectors' (of the b-centered cell)
to the 'PRIMITIVE reciprocal vectors'.

This does seem to suggest that SRC_lapw1/inilpw.f reads 'CONVENTIONAL
reciprocal vectors', or Conventional-ITA by Bilbao Crys. Server, for the
C(monoclinic) lattice.

If the xcrysden output for C(monoclinic) needs to be CONVENTIONAL
instead of PRIMITIVE, it should be easy to change in
xcrysden-1.5.53/F/getintcoor.f.