[Wien] sgroup question

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 17 14:22:14 CEST 2012

Sorry Manu, but I think in WIEN2k it is "more comlicated":

It is of course true that WYCKPOS offers just two choices for SG 12:

C2/m:unique axis b   with a centering of (1/2,1/2,0)
C2/m:unique axis c                       (0,1/2,1/2)

However, WIEN2k  requires for monoclinic centered lattices a centering of (1/2,0,1/2)
(we call it "CXZ-lattice") and the monoclinic angle must be gamma. Thus NONE of the
settings of WYCKPOS is compatible with WIEN2k.

Instead, when I programmed this a long time ago, my Int. Tables had just two settings
for SG 12, which are called:

B2/m:unique axis c   with a centering of (1/2,0,1/2) (or a "proper name of" B112/m)
and
C2/m:unique axis b   with a centering of (1/2,1/2,0)  (or C12/m1) (this is the first C2/m of WYCKPOS)

I was "lazy" and implemented only the first choice and thus WIEN2k supports so far only
B112/m with xz-centering and angle gamma, or in short: B2/m

Conversion can be made with your nice utility   SETSTRU  as was indicated by Gavin Abo
(which also works in case somebody has the I2/m setting of this SG)
or "by hand" when interchanging all y <--> z pos.parameters,angles,latt.params.

Best regards
Peter