[Wien] gap

Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Wed Oct 17 23:36:25 CEST 2012

  Band gap is always a matter of what quantity you are looking for:
electronic conductivity, optical propeties ...

In the present case the band gap obtained in the band structure is the
fundamental band gap (direct or indirect).
The band gap given by the DOS is certainly smaller, because you do not
have the information related to the energy dispersion of the bands.

You should also do the difference between the optical band gap and the
fundamental band gap for instance.

So what is the right value? From a theoretical point of view the right
value (the more accurate) is the fundamental band gap. However, you must
think about the fact that a band gap is a useful quantity if it is
related to a property!
If you are looking to optical properties, the best value will be
obtained from the dielectric function.
If you are looking at electronic properties ... band structure is
well-suited ...

Regards

Xavier