[Wien] position of f-orbitals

Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Fri Oct 26 11:23:40 CEST 2012

Yes there is but at the end it will be not far from DFT+U results.

Indeed, Fabien Tran and Peter Blaha, at least, have implemented in
WIEN2k a series of hybrid approaches.

In particular, you can use the semi-local hybrid potential modified
Becke-Johnson potential to have proper band gaps (as good as GW and some
times better).
However, in your case, I believe that this choice is not the best (I
only believe, it could be interesting to do a test ...).

Another possibility is to use onsite-hybrid functionals, which will lead
to a similar result than DFT+U. Indeed in this implementation, only the
chosen orbitals in the atomic spheres will be corrected (onsite
correction for a specific orbital as in DFT+U).
This is a good choice because for realistic systems (many atoms) the
calculations are nearly as expensive as a regular LDA calculation.

Finally, you have the possibility to use the full-hybrid functional.
Here the correction is applied to all atoms and orbitals.
This last solution is very expensive in terms of calculation time
compared to an LDA calculation. Thus I imagine that in your case (doped
insulators) it will be quite tricky to realize such calculations.

These comments are based on my own experience and need to be completed
by more experts people in this field. But I hope it will help you.

Best Regards

Xavier