[Wien] Finally the report about optimizing the structure with MSR1a and mBJ

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Sep 11 15:48:18 CEST 2012

The convergence criteria are about 100 times too small to be
realistic. Use -ec 0.0001 at most, and -fc has no bearing for MSR1a; I
suggest adding -cc 0.00025. With what you have used you are limited by
the noise of the iterative method. If you look in the documentation,
you will see that -vec2pratt is recommended (by me) as it is better
with MSR1a.

When you say "some atoms were fixed" what do you mean? For a
non-centro symmetric structure it is OK to fix one atom, but if you
fix more then your results may well be unphysical.

What matters is not whether MSR1a works with mBJ (it does), rather
whether the atom positions are better in some sense.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University