[Wien] setrmt_lapw

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:07:36 CEST 2012

So long as the RMTs do not overlap you can use whatever you want, with
caveats that you will need to verify that you are getting appropriate
convergence/densities. You will also need to be careful about what
states you force to be core and core leakage (:NEC in case.scf). There
are many plausible ways of checking, one is the heat of formation of
compounds another is band-gaps, i.e. compare what you get to more
standard values. With a large enough RKMAX you will probably be OK,
but you will have to test carefully. Peter can probably suggest
other/better tests to ensure that the "LEED appropriate" RMTs are not
creating problems.

One important caveat: beware the derivative discontinuity at the
muffin tins. My intuition is that this might give you incorrect phase
shifts. You may need to go beyond the normal LM of 6  to 8 or 10
and/or check with just LAPW (as against APW+lo)  and higher RKMAX.
(The unsupported utility RMTCheck will let you monitor these.) One of
my students put together a version of symmetry to go to 8 or 10 which
I can provide if needed although I do not warranty that it is safe.

Also, the high-angle terms might be an issue; it is know that Wien2k
does not give as good values for the high-angle x-ray scattering
factors as (for instance) Gaussian. I don't know if this will matter
but it could because (I think) the LEED Ewald sphere has large g
backscattering terms.

A standard test (for TED) is to compare the dstart densities with what
one gets from the tabulated x-ray or electron (e.g. Doyle-Turner)
scattering factors. They should agree, and I suspect they should be
comparable for LEED although I only know enough to be dangerous.