[Wien] Reg: charge density plots

Antoine V ville at icmcb-bordeaux.cnrs.fr
Wed Apr 10 10:12:58 CEST 2013

Color code bar (or isovalue lines) conditions the image you will obtain
for the charge density.

If charge density values extend over a very broad range (say, from zero
to very high values in the core region), you will obtain an image with
few details (atomic spherical shapes).

The more you restrict the charge density values to be plotted (for
example, by cutting off high values associated to the core regions), the
more details you will obtain in the inter-atomic region (chemical
bonding). The color code  will extend over the range you have chosen
(highest minus lowest rendered values).

The final image will also depend on the color scheme (rgb, ...) and on
the type of scale (linear, log, ...).

Limiting the highest rendered value is necessary if you polt the total
charge density. It might be not necessary for the valence charge density
alone.