[Wien] How to force a particular charge state

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Sun Apr 14 19:13:56 CEST 2013

With respect to your questions, you cannot ensure that the electron is
removed from Co or which atom it is removed from.

To expand, DFT is normally a ground state model, and occupies the
lowest energy states. Therefore only if a specific Co+3 is part of the
ground state will a normal calculation find it. If you use an atomic
orbital method then this can be done but not in WIen2k, and if you
want a core hole then this can be done in Wien2k.

If you have the time and energy there might be a method but it would
not be simple and I don't know if it would work as I've never tried
it. What you could try is a semicore calculation where you specify
APW+lo for one target atom only and push all the other atoms out of
reach with a high linearization energies. This would be coupled with a
non-semicore calculation for the other atoms/states. If you are
feeling adventurous I would be prepared to try and help a little, but
you will need to put a lot of effort in (but it might be worthwhile).

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM, devendranegi at jncasr.ac.in